COVID-19 Coronavirus Notice

COVID-19 Coronavirus Notice

Updated 2 July 2020

If you are reading this message, please be aware of travel restrictions in place as part of measures to contain the spread of the COVID-19 "Coronavirus" and its symptoms. Japanese authorities are refusing entry to individuals from, or who have been to, a list of over 100 countries (More information). All other visitors must apply for a visa, and undergo a quarantine upon entering the country. Within the Japan, there are no longer any travel restrictions, and most public attractions have re-opened with precautions for sanitation and social distancing. In short, travel to Japan is not recommended at this time, until the situation normalises. I will not be editing my individual articles to reflect this, but again, please keep this in mind when reading them.

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Know Your Trains: Kintetsu Limited Express

A lineup of Kintetsu limited-express trains, including the 50000-series "Shimakaze" (left), at Kashihara Jingu-mae Station.
By foooomio (Blue Red Yellow) [CC BY 2.0 ], via Wikimedia Commons
Previously on Sekai Ichi, we went to Iga City.  As described in my introduction to Iga, there are two ways to get there by train: via the JR lines, which I used, or via the Kintetsu network.  Kintetsu, short for Kinki Japan Railway (where "Kinki" (近畿) is an alternate name for the Kansai region), is the largest non-JR railway network in Japan, with a combined 500km (300 mi.) of tracks connecting Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Nagoya, and more.  To get where you're going in speed and style, Kintetsu has a wide array of Limited Express trains supplementing their regular services.

Name Start Station(s) End Station(s) Time Max. Frequency*
Limited Express Osaka-Namba Kintetsu-Nara 35 minutes 1-2 per hour,
mornings/evenings**
Limited Express Osaka-Namba Kintetsu-Nagoya 140 minutes 1 per hour
Urban Liner Osaka-Namba Kintetsu-Nagoya 130 minutes 1 per hour
Limited Express Osaka-Namba Kashikojima 150 minutes 1 per hour
Shimakaze Osaka-Namba Kashikojima 140 minutes 1 per day
Limited Express Osaka-Abenobashi Yoshino 75 minutes 1-2 per hour
Blue Symphony Osaka-Abenobashi Yoshino 75 minutes 2 per day
Limited Express Kyoto Kintetsu-Nara 35 minutes 2 per hour
Limited Express Kyoto Kashikojima 175 minutes 3 per day
Shimakaze Kyoto Kashikojima 165 minutes 1 per day
Limited Express Kintetsu-Nagoya Kashikojima 60 minutes 1 per hour
Shimakaze Kintetsu-Nagoya Kashikojima 100 minutes 1 per day
*Based on August 2018 schedules.
**Mornings to Osaka-Namba, evenings to Kintetsu-Nara.

A 21020-series "Urban Liner" train at Yamato-Yagi Station.
By Rsa (Rsaが大和八木で撮影) [GFDL or CC-BY-SA-3.0], via Wikimedia Commons
Like the Romancecar article, this is gonna be another big one, so I'll sort these trains by departure station.  First on the lineup is Osaka-Namba.  (Osaka-Uehommachi is the official start of this line, but most services start from and end at Osaka-Namba.)  From here, trains depart for Kintetsu's stations in Nara, Nagoya, and the Ise-Shima Peninsula.  There are also limited-express services between Osaka-Namba and Kintetsu-Nara, but they mostly run for commuters in the morning (to Osaka) and evening (to Nara), and cheaper express trains are not much slower besides.  To Nagoya, regular limited-express services alternate with the Urban Liner, which makes fewer stops and has a Deluxe seating car.  To Ise-Shima, there is one round-trip per day of the Shimakaze, a premium excursion train with deluxe seating, salon cabins, and a cafe car.

No. Name (English) Name (Japanese) Line Limited 
Express
Limited 
Express
Urban 
Liner
Limited 
Express
Shimakaze
A01 Osaka-Namba 大阪難波 Kintetsu Nara (A) X X X X X
A03 Osaka-Uehommachi 大阪上本町 X X X X X
A04 Tsuruhashi 鶴橋 X X X X X
A17 Ikoma 生駒 X I I I I
A20 Gakuemmae 学園前 X I I I I
A26 Yamato-Saidaiji 大和西大寺 X I I I I
A28 Kintetsu-Nara 近鉄奈良 X I I I I
D25 Yamato-Takada 大和高田 Kintetsu Osaka (D) I I I X O
D39 Yamato-Yagi 大和八木 I X O X X
D45 Haibara 榛原 I I I X I
D49 Nabari 名張 I X I X I
D52 Iga-Kambe 伊賀神戸 I O I X I
D57 Sakakibara-Onsenguchi 榊原温泉口 I I I O I
Kintetsu Nagoya (E)
E39 Tsu I O I I I
E31 Shiroko 白子 I O I I I
E21 Kintetsu-Yokkaichi 近鉄四日市 I O I I I
E13 Kuwana 桑名 I O I I I
E01 Kintetsu-Nagoya 近鉄名古屋 I X X I I
M61 Ise-Nakagawa 伊勢中川 Kintetsu Yamada /
Toba / Shima (M)
I I I X I
M64 Matsusaka 松阪 I I I X I
M73 Ise-shi 伊勢市 I I I X X
M74 Uji-Yamada 宇治山田 I I I X X
M75 Isuzugawa 五十鈴川 I I I X I
M78 Toba 鳥羽 I I I X X
M88 Shima-Isobe 志摩磯部 I I I X I
M91 Ugata 鵜方 I I I X I
M93 Kashikojima 賢島 I I I X X
Legend:
X: All trains stop at this station.
O: Some trains stop at this station.
I: No trains stop at this station.

A 26000-series "Sakura Liner" train at Kashihara Jingu-mae Station.
By TRJN [CC BY-SA 4.0 ], from Wikimedia Commons
Osaka-Abenobashi, a separate station in Osaka, serves as the terminus of the Minami-Osaka line.  Some services are branded as "Sakura Liner"; these include deluxe seating in some cars.  The Blue Symphony, a retro-themed premium excursion train, makes two round-trips daily.  The Sakura Liner and Blue Symphony make the same stops as normal limited-expresses.

No. Name (English) Name (Japanese) Line Limited 
Express
F01 Osaka-Abenobashi 大阪阿部野橋 Kintetsu
Minami-Osaka /
Yoshino (F)
X
F16 Furuichi 古市 O
F23 Shakudo 尺土 X
F24 Takadashi 高田市 X
F42 Kashihara Jingu-mae 橿原神宮前 X
F44 Asuka 飛鳥 X
F45 Tsubosakayama 壺阪山 X
F48 Yoshinoguchi 吉野口 X
F50 Fukugami 福神 X
F52 Shimoichiguchi 下市口 X
F54 Muda 六田 X
F55 Yamato-Kamiichi 大和上市 X
F56 Yoshino-jingu 吉野神宮 X
F57 Yoshino 吉野 X
Legend:
X: All trains stop at this station.
O: Some trains stop at this station.
I: No trains stop at this station.

A 50000-series "Shimakaze" train.
By Oka21000 [CC BY-SA 3.0 ], from Wikimedia Commons
Next are the remaining services starting from Kyoto and Kintetsu-Nagoya.  The Shimakaze also makes one round-trip journey per day from both of these termini to Ise-Shima.

No. Name (English) Name (Japanese) Line Limited 
Express
Limited 
Express
Shimakaze Limited 
Express
Shimakaze
B01 Kyoto 京都 Kintetsu Kyoto (B) X X X I I
B07 Kintetsu-Tambabashi 近鉄丹波橋 X X X I I
B26 Yamato-Saidaiji 大和西大寺 X X X I I
Kintetsu Nara (A)
A28 Kintetsu-Nara 近鉄奈良 X I I I I
D39 Yamato-Yagi 大和八木 Kintetsu Osaka (D) I X X I I
D49 Nabari 名張 I X I I I
E01 Kintetsu-Nagoya 近鉄名古屋 Kintetsu Nagoya (E) I I I X X
E13 Kuwana 桑名 I I I X I
E21 Kintetsu-Yokkaichi 近鉄四日市 I I I X X
E31 Shiroko 白子 I I I X I
E39 Tsu I I I X I
E42 Hisai 久居 I I I O I
M61 Ise-Nakagawa 伊勢中川 I X I X I
Kintetsu Yamada /
Toba / Shima (M)
M64 Matsusaka 松阪 I X I X I
M73 Ise-shi 伊勢市 I X X X X
M74 Uji-Yamada 宇治山田 I X X X X
M75 Isuzugawa 五十鈴川 I X I X I
M78 Toba 鳥羽 I X X X X
M88 Shima-Isobe 志摩磯部 I X I X I
M91 Ugata 鵜方 I X I X X
M93 Kashikojima 賢島 I X X X X
Legend:
X: All trains stop at this station.
O: Some trains stop at this station.
I: No trains stop at this station.

Premium excursion trains like the Shimakaze and Blue Symphony (pictured) carry only Deluxe seating.
By Things in information [CC BY-SA 4.0 ], from Wikimedia Commons
Onboard accomodations vary among the different limited-express trains.  The basic cabins for all trains have 2+2 seating arrangements, and seat pitch lengths no less than 100cm (39 in.).  Certain types of trains -- the Urban Liner, Ise-Shima Liner, and Sakura Liner -- also have Deluxe seats, arranged 2+1 with seat pitches of 105cm (41 in.).  The special excursion trains -- the Shimakaze and Blue Symphony -- only have Deluxe seating, resulting in premium ticket prices, but an above-and-beyond seat pitch of 125cm (49 in.).  In addition, some trains also have salon-room seating for groups of 4 or so passengers.

ServiceTotal Cars Reserved Cars Deluxe/Salon Cars Cafe/Other Cars
Limited
Express
6 6 0 0
Ise-Shima /
Sakura Liner
6 4 (Cars #1-4) 2 (Cars #5-6) 0
Urban Liner6 5 (Cars #2-6)1 (Car #1) 0
Shimakaze6 04 (Cars #1-2, 5-6) 2 (Cars #3-4)
Blue Symphony3 02 (Cars #1, 3) 1 (Car #2

Tips
  • The Kintetsu Rail Pass, available in 1, 2, or 5-day varieties, covers base fare but not limited-express fees within their respective coverage areas.  For more information, read my article about rail passes of the Kansai region.
  • Passengers may purchase limited-express tickets online through Kintetsu's website.  Upon buying an "e-Ticket" online, you will need to print out the confirmation, bring it to the station, purchase the base fare, and show both tickets to the gate attendant.  More information: (English) (Japanese)
  • The Shimakaze, Blue Symphony, and during the cherry blossom season, other express trains to Yoshino are some of the most difficult trains to get tickets for in Japan, so reserve as early as possible.
Trivia
  • The Minami-Osaka / Yoshino line, which is separated from Kintetsu's other lines, uses narrow-gauge tracks (1,067mm / 3' 6" between rails) as opposed to the standard-gauge (1,435mm / 4' 8½") favoured by the rest of the network.  This is because that line was built and operated by a separate company, before being merged into (what would later become) Kintetsu in 1943.
  • Multiple Kintetsu trainsets have won the Blue Ribbon Award for the best in Japanese train design.  The most recent recipient, in 2014, was the 50000-series train used for Shimakaze services.
  • The name Shimakaze, written in Hiragana as しまかぜ, means "island wind" in English.  It has also been used to christen some destroyer ships of the Imperial Japanese Navy before/during World War II, and the Japanese Maritime Self-Defence Force afterwards.