COVID-19 Coronavirus Notice

COVID-19 Coronavirus Notice

Updated 2 July 2020

If you are reading this message, please be aware of travel restrictions in place as part of measures to contain the spread of the COVID-19 "Coronavirus" and its symptoms. Japanese authorities are refusing entry to individuals from, or who have been to, a list of over 100 countries (More information). All other visitors must apply for a visa, and undergo a quarantine upon entering the country. Within the Japan, there are no longer any travel restrictions, and most public attractions have re-opened with precautions for sanitation and social distancing. In short, travel to Japan is not recommended at this time, until the situation normalises. I will not be editing my individual articles to reflect this, but again, please keep this in mind when reading them.

Saturday, April 6, 2019

Know Your Trains: Shirasagi and Thunderbird

A 683-series Thunderbird train at Kanazawa Station.
Taken on Tuesday, 15 May 2018.
Previously on Sekai Ichi, I made my way up from Kyoto to Toyama, my base camp for the next few days.  Now, it's pretty obvious how one would get there from Tokyo, and that would be on the Hokuriku Shinkansen.  But with that line not yet extended westward, there are a couple of limited-express train services that offer the fastest and most direct access from western cities.  The "Shirasagi" starts from Nagoya, and the "Thunderbird" starts from Osaka and Kyoto, with both ending up in Kanazawa, where one may transfer to the Shinkansen.  In 2015, these were also supplemented by some new, smaller-scale services called the "Dinostar" and "Noto Kagaribi".

Name Start Station End Station(s) Time Max. Frequency*
Shirasagi Nagoya Kanazawa 3 hours 1 per 1-2 hours
Maibara 1 hour 50 minutes 1 per hour
Thunderbird Osaka Kanazawa 2 hours 30-50 minutes 1-2 per hour
Wakura Onsen 4 hours 1 per day
Dinostar Fukui Kanazawa 45 minutes 3 per day
Noto Kagaribi Kanazawa Wakura Onsen 1 hour 1 per 3 hours
*Departures are based on April 2019 schedules and are subject to change.

The Thunderbird starts from Osaka Station and goes along the Kyoto and Kosei lines, passing Lake Biwa to the west.  Meanwhile, the Shirasagi starts from Nagoya Station and goes along the Tokaido and Hokuriku lines, passing Lake Biwa to the east.  Note that a few Shirasagis, mainly during the early morning or late evening, start or end at Maibara instead of Nagoya.  From Tsuruga Station on, both trains follow the same path up the Hokuriku Main Line, until reaching Kanazawa.  The Dinostar follows a shortened version of this section, between Fukui and Kanazawa.  Finally, rounding out the lineup on hand, the Noto Kagaribi goes north from Kanazawa up the Noto Peninsula, via the IR Ishikawa and JR Nanao lines.  One Thunderbird per day also continues along this path.  There are even more once-daily services like the Business Thunderbird (Osaka-Kanazawa) and Ohayo Express (Tsuruga-Kanazawa), which I felt were of too little use for travellers to list in detail.

No. Name (English) Name
(Japanese)
Line Shirasagi Thunderbird Dinostar Noto
Kagaribi
A47 Osaka 大阪 JR Kyoto (A) I X I I
A46 Shin-Osaka 新大阪 I X I I
A38 Takatsuki 高槻 I O I I
A31 Kyoto 京都 I X I I
JR Kosei (B)
B25 Katata 堅田 I O I I
B14 Omi-Imazu 近江今津 I O I I
CA68 Nagoya 名古屋 JR Tokaido (CA) X I I I
CA72 Owari Ichinomiya 尾張一宮 X I I I
CA74 Gifu 岐阜 X I I I
CA77 Ogaki 大垣 X I I I
CA83 Maibara 米原 X I I I
JR Hokuriku (A)
A09 Nagahama 長浜 O I I I
A01 Tsuruga 敦賀 X O I I

Takefu 武生 X O I I

Sabae 鯖江 X O I I

Fukui 福井 X X X I

Awara Onsen 芦原温泉 X O X I

Kaga Onsen 加賀温泉 X O X I

Komatsu 小松 X O X I

Matto 松任 O O I I

Kanazawa 金沢 X X X X
JR Nanao

Unoke 宇野気 I I I O

Takamatsu 高松 I I I O

Hakui 羽咋 I O I X

Yoshikawa 良川 I I I O

Nanao 七尾 I O I X

Wakura-Onsen 和倉温泉 I O I X
Legend
X: All trains stop at this station.
O: Some trains stop at this station.
I: No trains stop at this station.

Notable Stops
  • Shin-Osaka: The economic and culinary centre of the Kansai region.
  • Kyoto: Japan's history-laden former capital city.
  • Nagoya: An economic centre with industrial and historical sites.
  • Maibara: A good place to transfer to/from the Tokaido Shinkansen.
  • Tsuruga: The future terminus of the Hokuriku Shinkansen.
  • Fukui: The eponymous capital of Fukui Prefecture
  • Kaga Onsen: A collection of hot-spring towns at the base of the sacred Mt. Haku.
  • Komatsu: Close to the regional airport.
  • Kanazawa: A historically-preserved city, famous for the Kenroku-en garden.
  • Wakura Onsen: A hot-spring town and bus hub on the Noto Peninsula


The Shirasagi, Thunderbird, and other such trains alternate between using 681-series and 683-series trainsets.  Train arrangements also vary, with services using sets of 3, 6, or 9 cars.  On Thunderbird services that go all the way to Wakura-Onsen, only cars 1 through 6 are used beyond Kanazawa.  In all cases, seats are laid out 2+2 across with 97cm (38 inches) of seat pitch in regular cars, and 2+1 and 116cm (45 inches) in the Green Car.

Service Total Cars Non-Reserved Cars Reserved Cars Green Cars
Shirasagi 6 2 (Cars #5-6)3 (Cars #2-4) 1 (Car #1)
Thunderbird 6 (Cars #5-7) (Cars #2-4, 8-9) 1 (Car #1)
9 (Cars #5-6) (Cars #5-6)
Dinostar 62 (Cars #5-6) 3 (Cars #2-4) 1 (Car #1)
Noto Kagaribi 6 2 (Cars #5-6) 3 (Cars #2-4) 1 (Car #1)
3 2 (Cars #1-2) 1 (Car #3) 0

A 683-series Shirasagi train near Kurikara Station, on the former Hokuriku Main Line (currently the IR Ishikawa railway). Before 2015, these trains used to take this route to get to Toyama.
By Toshinori baba [CC BY-SA 4.0], from Wikimedia Commons
Tips
  • Coming from Nagoya, it may be faster to take the Tokaido Shinkansen to Maibara, and transfer to a Shirasagi from there.  This can save up to half an hour of travel time, offers more frequent connections, and only costs about ¥200 (unreserved) to ¥700 (reserved) extra, if not using the Japan Rail Pass.  Only Kodama and some Hikari trains stop at Maibara.
  • Thunderbird and Noto Kagaribi trains use the IR Ishikawa line, which is not normally covered by the Japan Rail Pass.  However, a special provision of the pass allows users to ride the section between Kanazawa and Tsubata, as used by those trains, for free.
Trivia
  • The name "Shirasagi" (しらさぎ) means "white heron".  (Coinicidentally, this is also a common nickname of Himeji Castle.)  The Shirasagi train service was started in 1964.  Originally it went all the way to Toyama, but seems to have been truncated at Kanazawa with the extension of the Hokuriku Shinkansen.
  • The "Thunderbird" (サンダーバード, Sandābādo) service was started in 1995, and was formerly named "Super Raicho" until 1997.
  • The Thunderbird is a successor to the "Raicho" (雷鳥, raichō) limited express between Osaka and Toyama, in service from 1964 to 2011.  The name "Raicho" literally means "lightning/thunder bird", hence its modern name, but is also the Japanese name of the Rock ptarmigan, a bird which is common in the Hokuriku region.
  • The name "Dinostar" (ダイノスター, Dainosutā) is a reference to Fukui Prefecture's association with dinosaurs.  Many dinosaur fossils have been found in the area, and the Fukui Prefectural Dinosaur Museum, regarded as one of the best dinosaur museums in the world, is just over an hour east of downtown Fukui,
  • The name "Noto Kagaribi" (能登かがり火, lit. "Noto bonfire") refers to bonfires lit during summer festivals on the Noto Peninsula.